the three of them bought Dyer out of the T-Anchor ranch in 1878. They had to drive their initial herds from Doan’s
Store on the Red River to the new ranch. They were forced to divert their herd northward around the JA ranch. In
1881, two line camps were established for the line riders. One of these camps was near the Fal de Hour.
In 1881, the owners of the T-Anchor fenced in the eastern part of Randall County in a pasture approximately 240,000
acres in size, which was the first fence in the panhandle area. In 1882, Gunter bought out Summerfield and moved
onto the ranch. He called the ranch ‘T-Anchor’ which was the official beginning of the ranch by that name. In 1882,
the T-Anchor ranch herded 10,652 cattle from near the south line fence to the ranch headquarters. Before they
began the drive, it took a trotting horse an hour to encircle the herd. The lead cattle reached the ranch before the
lagging cattle got started. The drive took about six hours. This was the largest cattle drive on record in the country.
The T-Anchor made their first drive to Dodge City in the fall of 1882.
In 1883, the Gunters sold out to Munson who in 1885 sold the ranch to Cedar Valley Land Company, an English-
based company. The cattle drives stopped in 1887 when the Santa Fe railroad came to Amarillo.
Canyon, Texas came into being in 1889. With the county taxing the 80 sections, the ranch finally failed. Hudson and
Powers leased the block and operated it until 1902.
River Falls is a private community located on the Currie
Ranch in the northern end of Palo Duro Canyon. River Falls
is a master planned community development rich with
beautiful canyon and prairie land combined with architectural
diversity and a one-of-a-kind 500+ acre wildlife refuge. River
Falls, part of the expansive Currie Ranch combines country
living with urban conveniences such as newly paved roads,
electrical and gas lines, and 24-hour security behind locked
gates. Elegant homes and spacious lots with various regional influences can be seen in many of the homes
throughout the neighborhood. From the scenic all-embracing rim lots to the expansive lots of our Southside
Addition and the secluded lots in the Cliifside Addition, River Falls has something for everyone.
Where Father Time can't change Mother Nature!
|The History of River Falls, the Currie Ranch and the Palo Duro Canyon
The history of River Falls in the modern age starts with the Currie Ranch, however the story begins in the Palo Duro
Canyon. Its early history is woven directly into this area's fabric as well. Read about all three of these interesting
fishing. This acreage is some of the most stunning land in all of
River Falls, sitting on 2000 prime acres on the north end of the
great Palo Duro Canyon and just south of Amarillo, Texas, is
comprised of over 200 home sites with a 25-acre school site for
two future schools located on the Claude Highway. River Falls
was planned from the beginning to be family friendly. Gated
entrances and 24-hour security make River Falls a safe and
comfortable place to raise a family. Many studies were done to
ensure we could offer the ruggedness of the Palo Duro
Canyon and the modern day amenities one comes to expect from a great development. The look and feel of River
Falls took years to create and is on-going. Amenities are being added all the time to enhance the lifestyles of our
residents. Our equestrian center and gun range are currently being enjoyed by many residents. We are in the
planning stages for an new beach-like swimming and recreation area. Work is also beginning on a new airport to
serve the aviation community and other residents who may occasionally need the airport.
Roads were designed to enhance the flow in the
division and minimize the impact to the land and natural
drainage. All of these considerations were done to improve
the living conditions of our residents.
River Falls is one of the area's most environmentally- friendly
communities. Our refuge is protected from future
development. This dedication of over 500 acres to
non-development is rare in these days of over-use of residential areas. Our land use plan also contains many
acres of land for the exclusive use of our residents. Many area lakes located in the residential area have dedicated
common areas for all to enjoy. We did not just tie up all the land for home lots. Open areas for all to use are plentiful
and meticulously maintained. Ultimately, River Falls will offer neighborhood shops and services easily accessible
from within the community. Deed restrictions will ensure these businesses will enhance community property
values and bring needed services to the area. Schools and multi-family housing are planned for the northern area.
Home sites will also be offered around the new airport. These and all other planned additions will be designed to
further our commitment to the environment and to keep River Falls a safe and comfortable place for you to call
You want to own a piece of land in
Texas with miles of trails and room
for barns and other activities in an
unspoiled place where you can still
see the stars. Postcard settings filled
with panoramic views of craggy
canyon Do you dream of getting
away from it walls and sweeping
prairie lands! Don't just call it
“Heaven” when you can call it ”
Join us at the River Falls
with beautiful sunsets and
abundant wildlife and
explore the nature trails or
take a stroll next to our
many lakes and streams!
This is lodging that
harkens back to simpler
times. A setting void of
ambient noise and light
provide the opportunity to
have your senses filled
with the sounds and sights
of nature. Frank Lloyd
Wright once wrote; “Study
nature, love nature, stay
close to nature, It will never
fail you”. River Falls is the
place to live his sentiment.
Discover the realization,
the lifestyle and the
The Currie Ranch
Charles Goodnight established his ranch in the
Palo Duro Canyon in 1876. In 1877, Leigh Dyer,
Goodnight’s brother-in-law, drove 400 cattle up
the canyon to the area near Canyon, Texas and
started the first ranch in Randall County. He
wintered his cattle near the Fal de Hour (The
Great Falls, part of the Currie Ranch) in the
valley surrounding the falls. He built the first
house of any significance one mile north of
Canyon, Texas and this became the
headquarters for the T-Anchor Ranch. Jot
Gunter and John Summerfield were paid with
land by the railroads for the surveying they did
for them. They partnered with a Mr. Munson and
In 1878, Hugh Currie moved his
family to Terrell, Texas where Jinks
went to school. In 1889 the family
moved to the area near Happy
where Hugh’s property adjoined
the west border of the JA Ranch. In
1909, Jinks bought the present
Currie ranch consisting of 28
sections including seven miles of
the Palo Duro Canyon. Jinks
fostered the concept of protecting
wildlife on the ranch which has
carried forward to this day.
A Mr. Harding acquired the land under Lake Tanglewood, The Great Falls and Devil’s Kitchen. Harding opened the
area to the public and had a area high schools had graduation parties there. For a while it was a popular
recreational area. It was sold to J. Levi and gradually lost its attraction. Jinks reacquired the land.
When Jinks Currie died in 1945, the ranch fell under the ownership of David Hugh Currie and John J Currie, Jr.
Hugh was given the southern land and the lower Palo Duro Canyon land and John obtained the upper Canyon and
the land north of the canyon. John Currie built his home where the Harding improvements were, later clearing out
the deteriorating structures. John traded some land to Hugh which included some of the land along the creek which
would later lie below Tanglewood Dam. In 1962, John and Hugh culminated an agreement with Roy Stockton, who
was to construct a dam at the site of the present Lake Tanglewood Dam. Roy was a supervisor for Stockton
Construction, Inc. and had been working on a project in the Palisades area when he entertained the idea of a
beautiful lake to the east of that area. Contracts were signed and construction began in the late 50s. This dam
washed out in a heavy rain in the summer of 1962 and caused major destruction to cottonwood groves down the
canyon. Other investors came along and assisted Roy in completing the dam and the community of Lake
Tanglewood was born. The Village of Lake Tanglewood is now well established, a small community on the Prairie
Dog Town Fork of the Red River on the north end of Palo Duro Canyon in the northeast corner of Randall County.
River Falls is located just east of Lake Tanglewood, downstream of the dam.
Palo Duro Canyon
Man has inhabited Palo Duro Canyon for approximately
resided in the canyon and hunted large herds of
mammoth and giant bison. Later on, other cultures such
canyon’s abundant resources. Early Spanish Explorers
are believed to have discovered the area and dubbed
the canyon "Palo Duro" which is Spanish for "hard
wood" in reference to the abundant mesquite and
juniper trees. However, an American did not officially
discover the canyon until 1852 when Captain Marcy
ventured into the area while searching for the
Due to diverse habitats, Palo Duro Canyon contains many species of wildlife including the rare Texas Horned
Lizard, and Palo Duro Mouse. Other species include wild turkey, white tail and mule deer, barbary sheep, coyotes,
cottontail rabbits, roadrunners, and western diamondback rattlesnakes. Palo Duro Canyon State Park is known for
rim, longhorn steers which are a part of the official Texas State Longhorn Herd, may be viewed from the main road.
The canyon is approximately 120 miles long, 20 miles wide and 800 feet deep. Extending from Canyon to Silverton,
Palo Duro Canyon was formed primarily by water erosion from the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River, which
began to carve the canyon less than one million years ago. The slopes of the canyon reveal the colorful natural
history of the area. Dating back 250 million years, the oldest layers of rock, Cloud Chief Gypsum, can only be seen
in a few areas in the canyon. The next oldest and most prominent layer of rock is the Quartermaster Formation
which can be seen with its distinctive red claystone/sandstone and white layers of gypsum.
The Tecovas Formation is located directly above the Quartermaster and is composed of yellow, gray, and lavender
mudstone and sandstone. Together with the Quartermaster, they form the colorful triangular slopes called Spanish
Skirts. Above the Tecovas, the Truijillo and Ogallala formations can be viewed. The Ogallala is composed of sand,
silt, clay, and limestone, which compose the hard caprock.
boundless beauty of River Falls. Isn’t it time to build the home where you and your family can live the adventure
most picturesque setting in the Texas Panhandle! River Falls is quite simply nature's playground. Here, days are
spent fishing for trout in the many streams and lakes that are stocked regularly, hiking the miles of trails down on
the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, or just roaming the miles of wind-blown grasslands to the north. Here the great
outdoors truly comes to life!
River Falls offers the horse lover an equestrian dream! Our 24-stall MD Barns stable offers comfortable housing for
your prized steed. We offer full care for your horses including stall rentals, feeding and equestrian riding lessons.
Work hard. Ride right!
We have come to believe at River Falls there are moments in life that can't be planned and won't be forgotten.
Here, life revolves around freshwater trout lakes and streams, rolling grasslands, majestic canyon rims and miles
of hiking trails. Find your place at River Falls - where everything comes together to offer that one very special
under orders from the US Government, apprehended the Native Americans residing in
the canyon by first capturing 1,400 horses and then later destroying the majority of the
herd. Unable to escape, the Native Americans surrendered and were transported to
reservations in Oklahoma. Then, from 1876 until 1890, most of the canyon belonged to
the J.A. Ranch and was operated by Col. Charles Goodnight.
Palo Duro Canyon, the “Grand Canyon of Texas” is located on the southern high plains,
an area called El Llano Estacado or "staked plains." The rim of the canyon is
considered part of the short grass prairie while the elevated moisture of the canyon
floor supports a greater diversity of plants including some medium and tall grass
species along with shrubs and trees. Common plant species include sideoats grama,
big bluestem, Indian blanket, star thistle, fragrant sumac, mesquite, and cottonwood
trees. Several juniper species are also common.